Scheme of UPSC Civil Services Exam

UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE) Journey
⬇
Stage 1: Preliminary Examination
Screening Stage

GS Paper I

200 Marks

General Studies
Objective Paper

GS Paper I Details

• Indian History
• Indian National Movement
• Geography of India and World
• Indian Polity and Constitution
• Economic and Social Development
• Environment and Ecology
• General Science
• Current Affairs

CSAT Paper II

200 Marks

Qualifying Paper
33% Required

CSAT Details

• Reading Comprehension
• Logical Reasoning
• Analytical Ability
• Basic Numeracy
• Data Interpretation
• Decision Making
• Qualifying Nature

⬇
Stage 2: Main Examination
Written Examination - 1750 Marks

Essay Paper

250 Marks

Paper I

Essay Details

• Two essays
• Social issues
• Philosophical topics
• Logical presentation
• Balanced arguments
• Clarity of thought

GS Paper I

250 Marks

Culture & Society

GS I Details

• Indian Heritage and Culture
• History of India
• World History
• Indian Society
• Geography

GS Paper II

250 Marks

Governance & Polity

GS II Details

• Constitution
• Governance
• Parliament
• Judiciary
• Welfare Schemes
• International Relations

GS Paper III

250 Marks

Economy & Security

GS III Details

• Indian Economy
• Agriculture
• Science and Technology
• Environment
• Disaster Management
• Internal Security

GS Paper IV

250 Marks

Ethics Paper

GS IV Details

• Ethics and Human Interface
• Integrity
• Aptitude
• Emotional Intelligence
• Case Studies
• Moral Values

Optional Paper I

250 Marks

Selected Subject

Optional Paper I Details

• First paper of chosen optional subject
• Conceptual understanding
• Subject knowledge
• Analytical answers

Optional Paper II

250 Marks

Selected Subject

Optional Paper II Details

• Advanced topics of optional subject
• Application based questions
• Critical analysis
• Detailed answers

⬇
Stage 3: Personality Test / Interview
275 Marks

UPSC Interview Board

275 Marks

Personality Assessment

Interview Evaluation

• Communication Skills
• Leadership Ability
• Awareness of Current Affairs
• Decision Making
• Administrative Suitability

⬇

Final Selection

Mains Written: 1750 Marks + Interview: 275 Marks

Total Merit: 2025 Marks

Click any card to flip and view details